AVE User’s Guide -An Introduction to Audio-Visual Entrainment (AVE)
To ensure safe, gentle and effective audio-visual entrainment,the DAVID SMART offers the following:
- Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets - Our unique Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets were carefully designed to provide you with the most effective and safe light and sound experience. This special patented process allows the Delight to stimulate a different frequency in each hemisphere of the brain. This is essential for mood boosting and mental performance. The Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets for the Delight use eight blue-tinted white LEDs mounted over a silver reflector behind a translucent screen. This disperses the light evenly. Our Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets are specially designed to allow for the left and right visual fields of each eye to be individually stimulated rather than the entire eye. With the Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets, the lights flash into the left visual fields of both eyes, then alternately flashes into the right visual fields of both eyes. This approach allows the ability to stimulate either visual cortex with a frequency different from the other visual cortex. For example, a person who functions strongly from the left brain could have 8 Hz stimulated into the right visual field (and therefore the left brain) to slow down left brain function and have 18 Hz stimulated into the left visual field to increase right brain function.
- Isochronic Pulsed Tones, Binaural Beats and Monaural Beats - The isochronic pulsed tones are evenly spaced, are of equal pitch and are turned on and off at a specified rate. This is important to enhance the effectiveness of audio entrainment. The monaural beats are similar to the isochronic pulsed tones, but turn on and off more gently and therefore are smoother, fuller beats and are recommended for those who find the pulse tones too stimulating. The binaural beats are two pure tones (one in each ear)and are perceived to have a beat.
- Soft-OffTM - The gradual lowering of the lights and tones at the end of the session prevents a startle response (also known as somnatic shock). Soft-OffTM ensures that relaxation and other benefits carry over even after a session has ended.
- Battery Power Indicator - At a quick glance you can tell if your battery has enough power to run your session. New eyeset technology allows for much longer life for your 9-volt battery.
- Easy-To-Find Power, Intensity and Volume Buttons - The power, intensity and volume buttons are raised so that you can make the necessary adjustments easily and quickly, even with your eyes closed. Adjust the intensity of the OmniscreenTM Eyeset with the easy-to-find INT button.
- 10 Preset Sessions - Two sessions in each category: Energize, Meditate, Brain Booster, Sleep and Mood Booster.
- Sound Sync Sessions - Each category also has a Sound Sync Session to turn your music into an intriguing light show. All sessions include HRV and begin with a 3-stage process that enhances dissociation
HEART RATE VARIABILITY (HRV):
For the first time ever, a system exists where meditative breathing may be paced along with an audio-visual entrainment (AVE) session. Long, graceful breathing cycles have been used as part of meditation. Scientifically, this technique has been analyzed and shown to settle down a stressed autonomic nervous system. Both sympathetic (flight-or-fight) activity and para-sympathetic (the brain’s efforts to compensate) activity settle down dramatically using HRV techniques.
The heart speeds up with every breath in and slows down with every breath out. This swing in heart rate is HRV. A typical heart beat swing is in the order of about 15 beats per minute (bpm). When people get stressed, the heart typically clamps to sometimes as low as five bpm HRV at times intermixed with sharp spikes in heart rate. This is all abnormal activity and is rough on the heart.
The HRV technique used clinically is based on a 10 second breathing cycle (six breaths/minute, by inhaling slowly for five seconds and exhaling slowly for five seconds in an easy, relaxed breath). When using HRV paced breathing, listen to the heartbeat generated by the DAVID SMARTTM through the headphones. Inhale for two heartbeats and exhale for two heartbeats (not your own heartbeats!). Most sessions begin at seven breathing cycles/minute (28 heartbeats/min) and slow to six breaths /minute (24 heartbeats/min). This allows the user to breathe a little faster at the onset of a session until he/she has had time to relax.
DAVID SMART Quick Start Guide and Comprehensive Operator’s Manual
All Mind Alive AVE and CES products are fully guaranteed. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the products to us prepaid within 30 days of purchase date, and we will refund your money (subject to a 15% restocking fee). We offer a one-year warranty on all parts and labour for all of our products. Warning
The Oasis Pro and Oasis II are not recognized as a treatment or cure of any medical condition or disability. However, research suggests that CES is an effective relaxation and meditation tool.
At Mind Alive Inc. it is our commitment to provide our customers with superior products that promote a healthier and higher quality of life. We are also committed to providing exceptional customer service.
Using flashing lights and pulsing tones, we can gently and safely guide the brain into various brainwave states. This is commonly known as audio-visual entrainment or brainwave entrainment.
These brainwave patterns are typically grouped into four different categories: Beta, Alpha, Theta and Delta. Each of these brainwave patterns is associated with various states of mind.
Beta Waves are quick, low amplitude waves of 14 to 40 times per second (Hz). Beta brainwave patterns are generated naturally when in an awake, focused and alert state of consciousness.
Alpha Waves are between 8 and 13 Hz and occur during sensorial rest (eg. when the eyes are closed), intellectual relaxation, deep relaxation or meditation. Alpha brainwave rhythms produce: peaceful feelings, warm hands and feet, a sense of well-being, improved sleep, improved academic performance, increased productivity in the workplace, reduced anxiety and improved immune functioning. It is believed that many creative geniuses, such as Einstein, were in a semi-permanent Alpha state.
Alpha/Theta Border are the Schumann Resonance and the State Five Meditation sessions. At the Alpha/Theta border (7 to 8 Hz), exceptional insights and personal transforming experiences can occur.
Theta Waves are between 4 and 8 Hz and are commonly referred to as the dream or "twilight" state. Theta is associated with hypnogogic states, REM and dreaming. Memory development is enhanced in this state. In the Theta brainwave state, memory is improved (particularly long term memory), and access to unconscious material, reveries, free association, sudden insight and creative ideas is increased.
Delta Waves are observed when in a sleeping state. As we fall asleep the dominant natural brainwave becomes Delta. Delta waves are the slowest of brainwaves spanning from 1 to 4 Hz in frequency. There is growing evidence that individuals may maintain a slightly conscious state while in Delta.
DAVID SESSION EDITOR is available at an additional cost. It provides programmability for all functions such as: rates, volume, intensity, tones, number of replays, etc. It includes a complete library of preset sessions to use as templates to help you design your own sessions. The library also includes an "erase all" DAVID wave file - for any clinician to install a "prescription" of only the sessions that the clinician wants the client to use. Clinicians can also set the number of times a session can be played. After all of the sessions have been played, the client would need to return to the clinician for a "refill". This allows the clinician to closely monitor which sessions are being used and how often they are being used.